10.10.2009

heritage

in the spring I had the privilege of going to a women's retreat that was focused on rest and refreshment from Father and in community. I was so encouraged by our speaker - her life experiences, passion, vulnerability, and her obedient walk with Father.

One of the stories she shared was about how during the time that her and her husband were dating, he would send her love letters and at the end of the letter he would sign them like this....

in the name of the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob,
John

she said she always thought that it was a bit peculiar and that maybe he was trying to be too spiritual....she wondered what was wrong with 'all my love', 'thinking of you', etc.
but she shared about as she continued to get to know him more and more, she learned how important the idea of a spiritual heritage was to him....the idea of a legacy and that we are a part of God's continued faithfulness to His people.

I thought this was so beautiful when I was at the retreat and now, months later, I am still astounded.

in the name of the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

these men are known as the patriarchs...forefathers. God kept His promises to them. He maintained His covenant even in the midst of disobedience and idolatry. He promised a son when there was barrenness and He provided that son at an outlandish age. He challenged by asking for a sacrifice that was too painful to imagine and then provided a ram at just the right time. He blessed them with land and abundance. He protected them from their enemies. He wrestled with them to show His power and His glory. He met them and revealed Himself to them.

I probably sound like a broken record...even to myself I do...but man, is this not a call to remember?! to look at the word with new eyes and new excitement and see that this same God that provides, protects, loves, forgives, wrestles, challenges, blesses, reveals Himself to all these people, does all of these things in our lives too! that we are now grafted in and allowed to be just a small piece of this beautiful work of redemption and restoration that God has been working on for all time!

for me, this gives me great hope and peace. He will not abandon His people or the works of His hands. He will not leave or forsake us. He is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love.

He is the God of Abraham and Isaac and Jacob.....and of Courtney.       

Hallelujah.

Thank You that Your promises and Your faithfulness are everlasting!

No comments: